As 2019 draws near to a close what are the current hot trends in marketing? In a word, relevance, and personalization. I know that is two words actually, but it is those two words that drive each of the following Top Ten Hot Marketing Trends.
- The Customer Experience – Particularly now that consumers are being “marketed to” everywhere from online to mobile to in-store, it is more important than ever to focus on a positive “customer experience,” across all of those platforms. Keep your messages consistent, branded, engaging, personalized, relevant and unobtrusive.
- 3D and Virtual Reality – Virtual reality is becoming a reality. As technology continues to evolve and becomes more mainstream, the ability to literally drop your customers into an immersive interaction with your product or service will soon be the ultimate customer experience.
- Mobile Marketing – If you are not concentrating your marketing efforts on mobile devices you are totally missing out. The time that people engage with content mainly on desktops or even laptops is long gone. Most people now do their browsing on smartphones and other mobile devices. That means at the very least, you need to make sure that your web content is optimized for mobile, and beyond that, you should be taking advantage of the unique sales channels mobile marketing apps provide.
- Social Media as a Channel – As social media has evolved and matured, the savviest marketers now recognize “social media” not as a marketing “strategy” unto itself, but just one “channel” as part of an integrated multi-channel strategy.
- Personalization – Consumers are bombarded with content. The only way to keep yours engaging is through personalization. Your goal has to be to use every technological and logistical means at your disposable to give your target audience as much of a unique and individual experience as you can. That means leveraging things such as: interactive features, variable forms of content, and individualized recommendations upon repeat visits.
- App Marketing – Thanks to the continued growth of mobile devices, app-based marketing continues to be a hot trend in 2019. A recent study by Google found that users of mobile devices rely on apps more than traditional websites, to access content.
- Multi-point Marketing – There are more purchase points and more buying opportunities in more places than ever before. That means many more marketing points. For example, most social media platforms have adopted some kind of shopping or check out-app built right into ads that they display.
- Big Data – Once only for the big boys, “big data” is now more accessible to marketing departments of all sizes. New tools have become available that make the mining and managing of data easier than ever.
- Video Streaming – Do you know what YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, gifs, and Tic-Toc are? If your target market is Millennials, you can be sure that they do! Millennials prefer to get their content over YouTube or one of these other channels rather than commercial television. In fact, many of them eschew any kind of commercial TV or cable service at all, in preference to one of these and other up and coming interactive video streaming apps.
- Content, Content, Content – After all of this talk about new tech, and new apps, it may sound so last century to say, however, “content is still king.” But, now “context” is queen! To cut through the clutter — relevancy, engagement, and good storytelling are, and will continue to be keys to effective content.
If the hottest trends in marketing for 2019 have shown us one thing, it is that “everything old is new again.” While the hot trends are laden with new technologies and innovative ways to implement them, they are driven by the tried and true principals of marketing — focus on the customer, deliver value, and make your decisions based on real data.